Tuesday, June 26, 2007

5th Seizure and Vet Visit

Amici went to the vet today. Yesterday, June 25, 2007 around 6:45AM Amici had another seizure. I had let him outside to use the bathroom and once I was done ironing my clothes I thought it was weird that he wasn't asking to come back in yet. (Usually I'll wait and watch him go to the bathroom to make sure he does his business and to see what it looks like {healthy wise}. Sometimes I need to do other things though so he has learned come to the sliding glass door). I looked outside and Amici was lying in the grass. Not an odd behavior, but the look in his face and the way he was looking around was odd. I came down the porch steps and realized that he may have had a seizure as he looked confused at who I was. It took him a second to recognize me and then come. Once he did, I could tell he had an unwitnessed seizure as there was residue foam all around his mouth. Also, his behavior was different, needing more reassurance and he seemed to need to reorient himself. I tried to make him happy again and comfortable. I watched him closely to make sure he wasn't going to start having clusters of seizures. Thankfully, by the time I had to leave for work, he didn't appear as restless (after each seizure he usually paces around for 1/2 hour to an hour)and he was excited to go into his kennel for his toys. I called Alan at work so he knew about it. He was glad that Amici was okay and he said he'd check on him in a little bit to make sure he was still maintaining alright. I called the vet and made an appointment for today. This will be his 5th seizure but thankfully the length in between has become longer (last one was May 11, 2007). We had gone a little over a month without having one which is great thing!

The humiliating thing about this is the seizure is probably our fault. We waited to the last minute to refill his prescription and on Sat. when we called it in, the rapid refill CVS stated we needed to have a doctor's prescription. We should have counted out the pills and knowing that he was getting low we should have noticed that before hand and called it in earlier. So, Amici went 2 days without receiving his meds. When I called the vet I did explain this and apologize profusely for being a stupid human. We really do love Amici and didn't mean to cause him any more harm.

As a result, it appears that the phenobarbital 32.4MG 2x day seems to be helping. The purpose of the vet visit today was to check Amici's pheno blood levels and to check for Lyme disease (we had never had him tested before). Hopefully his levels come out fine and he is negative for the Lyme disease as well. Amici will go back in August 2007 to get some of his yearly shots and I am sure we'll be discussing his progress on the medications at that time too.

This time his parents won't be stupid and we'll get the medicine in a timely fashion. Most importantly, we realize how our actions have affected Amici. Maybe next time he'll go 2 to 3 mths without having a seizure.

20 comments:

Kapp pack said...

Hang in there Amici! That is really scary. If you need any advice I'm sure Ma of MaPaw Sibe Rescue would be glad to talk with you about the seizures.....we have had quite a few come through the rescue and Ma always gives them priority to come to her house.

-Kelsey Ann

Holly said...

Oh, poor Amici!!! Have you thought about trying Potassium Bromide instead of the pheno? There are much fewer side affects and works very well for seizures. Abby has been on it since she was 3, and is now 12 and has never had another seizure since going on it. You should check with your vet (and research it on line) to see if it would work for Amici.

Holly

PiratesGrrl said...

Hi guys

Maryann, the Brat Pack's Mom here. I know how you feel, I've done that before with Thrawn's meds and I've felt like a horrible person.

It's good he's not having clusters like Thrawn does. We're finally getting to the 4 month mark between clusters which is a good thing. It just takes a while to get everything the right levels but once they are it really pays off. Something I think is really helping is that we added Potassium Bromide with his Phenobarbital dose. (he gets 200 mg of Pheno 2xs a day)

I use Bach's Rescue Remedy too sometimes after he has a seizure and it seems to help in his recovery. If he does start having clusters the best thing we've found is Valium. He immediately gets his regular dose of Pheno again, then 10 mg of Valium, then another 5 mg for the next three hours.

He loves a crate but I had to stop him from using it several years back because it was too risky with his seizures. He got his leg caught once and I was too scared to let him try again. Now he just stays in his "safe" room when I'm not home where he can't hurt himself if he has one.

I'm sorry you and Amici are going through this. It's really hard and you should be commended for sticking with it. There are so many seizure dogs in the shelters and it just breaks my heart. It's just a little extra work and time and they can live just as great of a life as any other dog.

Sorry to ramble, it's my soft spot. ;) If there's anything I can do or if you just need to vent don't hesitate to mail me.

Take care and give Amici a big hug from me.

Turbo the Sibe said...

I have those stupid seizures, too!

The Husky in the Window said...

Oh, we hope you feel better. You parents didn't mean it. They love you very much, and sometimes things just happen. We will keep you in our husky prayers.
MayaMarie and Missy

cyber-sibes said...

Oh, Amici, poor baby.
Seizures and vets are not much fun.
Next time, claw your humans to remind them to get your pills.
Our hu-mom's mom had a dog with seizures. She was happy and healthy in spite of them.
Hope you're feeling better now.

Woos,
Star & Sherms

cyber-sibes said...

Hi Amici,
Hope you feel better. Humans can be so absent-minded. Next time, claw them good to remind them to get your pills.

Wooos,
Star & Sherms

Marley said...

Lots of love and licks to Amici. It's hard dealing with seizures, I'm sure of it, but you're not alone. So many of our pals deal with these sorts of things. You're not a bad human for the med situation - what's important is that you love and care for Amici the way you do!

Marls

Dakota said...

Hi there.
I've had those darn seizure things too. I'm pretty lucky - no meds and they haven't happened in a long while.
I'm here for you Amici.

Dakota

Sitka and Tia's BLAWG! said...

Oh Poor Amici. I am sorry that you had another seizure. Tell the humans not to feel bad about not getting your meds re-filled. Make sure they give you some extra loving!
Hugs,
Sitka

MaPaw said...

Oh Amici, I am sorry you had a seizure. I will be so happy for all my friends when Turbo outlaws seizures.
-Magnum

Sasha said...

Oh, no, sorry to hear it Amici. Hopefully the medicine works for you!

The Army of Four said...

Hi Amici: I hope you're feeling better! Seizures are SCARY!
Love,
Amber

The Army of Four said...

Amici! I added you to the list of Troopers in the Ao4! Please email us at kzk(the at symbol)cox(dot)net for the cool code for your side bar!
Tail wags,
Storm

Steve, Kat, & Wilbur said...

Amici,
We are glad that you are feeling better. Having a seizure must be scary. Tell your mommy not to be too hard on herself and that you still love her!

Steve and Kat

Tadpole said...

Hi Amici! My sister has Epilepsy and has seizures too.... She's on Pheno and hasn't had once since starting, and my girl echos Maryann about the Valium too. Hope the meds get sorted out quickly and you don't have to go through many more of them! They're scary!

PS - give your humans lots of kisses too... they feel bad that you're sick. :-)

Pappy's Fella said...

Seizures sound pretty nervewracking, but it seems like you are in good company with owners who have learned managing them.

Love the pics of Portland area. I've always blown through on the way to or from Deer Isle, but the times I've stopped it seemed like Portland was nice livable city. Maybe I should make a little more time this summer.

Kerrio said...

Hey Amici

Just found your blog through dogs with blogs....

Are you near Portland ME? spent a year out there - lovely area.

We too have an epi dog (our second) so we know how you feel

Snogs from the dogs

Kerrio & co

Kapp pack said...

Hope you're feeling better. Up for a round of tag??? well, you're it. See my blog for more details

-Kelsey Ann

Flossikens said...

Hey :]

We know exactly how you feel, my older brother (Angus) use to have seizures all the time, once before he had a seizure for over 7 hours and survived! Although 2 months ago, he did pass away of old age (13 years old)we are just thankful that we were given angus, because alot of other people told us we should have just put him down!!!

We hope everything is going ok

♥ from the whole family