Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Ours again :)

This is a lovely time of the year. My mom states that it is her favorite season here in Maine. The weather is just right, cool enough to wear a sweater but no jacket and perhaps best of all....the parks are ours again!!! By ours I mean less congested and dog friendly!
Here are some pictures of Amici at Willard Beach in South Portland. This is a quaint, clean beach that has some beautiful views.


In the last couple of pictures Amici is seen ripping apart drift wood. In the picture it looks pretty odd...just thought I would clarify what it was that he was chewing on.

On Monday, October 15, 2007 at 2:30AM Amici had his 7th seizure. We were all sleeping. Since we have turned off our A/C Amici seems to enjoy sleeping in his kennel (with the door open so he can come and go as he pleases). All of a sudden I woke up to this choking sound. Amici looked and acted like he was choking. Alan woke up as well and almost went to inspect Amici's mouth as Amici puked and then fell over, stiffened up, and began the horrible process of his seizure. This seizure he seemed to stiffen a lot more and for a longer time. His legs did jog while he was down, his jaw was automatically moving, and the white smelly foam began to appear. He ended his seizure by having a period of where his whole body seemed to stiffen up completely (almost like having a horrible charlie horse). Afterwards he sat up and looked at us, tentatively wagging his tail. We kept a low voice and tone but tried to reassure him and waited until he came to us (most times it appears that it takes him a second to realize what happened and who we are....one time he growled at us so since then we watch him very closely but wait for him to approach us). Amici gave us kisses and began his hour of pacing. I went downstairs with him to let him outside. Apparantly while he paced he had an accident on our floor so I was too late in letting him out. You can't get mad at him because it isn't his fault so I just cleaned it up while he continued to pace. Around 3:30AM he stopped pacing and by 4AM we were back in our bedroom again all on our bed. Amici stayed on it for a few seconds and then got down and fell asleep on my side of the bed on the floor. It is always hard to go to work when this happens. The only thing we have to rely on is the consistent foam that happens to Amici when he has seizures. It has a very distinct smell and usually there is residue left behind. Our hope is that if he did have a seizure while we were at work, we would know by the smell and texture of the fur around his mouth. Thankfully, when we got home after work on Monday Amici seemed okay. We couldn't go anywhere because whenever he has a seizure the vet said that he should lay low for a day (which, having a husky...I don't think Amici enjoys laying low).

Today we were able to go to the dog park after work. We didn't stay as long as usual but he did get some good runs in and wrestling. We didn't want to overdue it. I called the vet yesterday to give them an update. I spoke with the assistant there and haven't heard from our vet yet. We are not sure of the reason for this seizure. Amici has been taking his meds regularly, eating a good diet, having better bowel movements, etc. It is just so confusing. I read some things yesterday online about some dogs being allergic to dairy, wheat, corn meal, soy, etc. and how those foods may help cause seizures. Has anyone else read that? Do you have an opinion?

His last seizure was Monday July 16th at 11:30AM. If he had had his seizure today he would have been seizure free for 2 whole months. That is the longest he has gone without having a seizure since these episodes have started. Maybe next time we'll have an even longer time frame in between.....let's hope so.

24 comments:

Sparky said...

Oh no, Amici! I'm so sorry to hear you had another seizure. It must be pretty scary, eh? I hope you won't have another for a long, long time...

I loved the beach pictures. Looks like you had fun!

Sparky

Kapp pack said...

The beach looks like lots of fun! SIbe vibes your way, it sounds like you are having a really ruff time, but your mom and dad are doing great and taking really good care of you!

WOo woo, Kelsey Ann

Steve, Kat, & Wilbur said...

Wow, the beach looks like a lot of fun!

We're sorry you had a seizure. It sounds pretty scary. I'm sorry that we don't know anything about it so we don't have any good advice. I hope some other pups have better advice for you!

Kat

-- The Mullin Clan's Mommy -- said...

Hi-Woo Amici,
Oh, that beach looks bewootiful! So sorry about your seizure. Mommy & daddy many years ago had a Sibe who had seizures. When Cinny had her 1st one daddy didn't know what it was cuz she was foaming at the mouth. He called the Health Dept. She was better a few hrs. later, but he wouldn't let mommy near her. The next day she called the vet & they told her that it was a seizure. For the next year, she had them pretty frequently, but she actually grew out of it. They did not know what was causing them. She did not go on the meds. It was a scary time for mommy. She would sit by her Cinny & talk her through it. Juneau & I hope you are feeling better.
-Cosmos-

MaPaw said...

I do not know much about seizures, maybe Thrawn from the Brat Pack could tell you more. I hope he stays seizure free for a long time. The beach looks like loads of fun. I know what you mean about having parks to yourself. We often complain about fair weather walkers.
-Magnum

Bama said...

Hi Amici-pup!
We just want to second everything above. We don't know anything bout husky seizures either, (our mom says they've been really lucky & blessed with fairly healthy huskoids, though our BoogieBoy started having seizures this January, now he has to take medicines for it too). We hope it was just a fluke and you won't have another one in furever, mom really worries when the Boogster has one, so she said she knows your mom & dad must really worry bout you!
The beach looked like a BLAST!
Manykisses,
Bama & the RHP

The Army of Four said...

Oh, Amici! That ocean thing looks SO incredible! I wish I had one!
I'm so sorry about your seizures! They sound really scary. :(
Play bows,
Zim

cyber-sibes said...

Gorgeous beach! We like that its getting cooler now too. We love having the beach mostly to ourselves.

Woos, Amici, seizures are NOT FUN. They should be banned. Our hu-mom's mom's dog used to have them regularly, and she did alright anyways, but it was awfully scarey for the bipeds to watch.

We'll keep paws crossed you get rid of them.

Woooos & a-Roos,
Star & the Jack a-Roo

spokeschicken said...

the beach looks lovely, but i'm so sorry to hear about amici's seizures! i know that mom's wolf had them once or twice, and as he's become older, they've stopped. mum was really shaken up about it -- it's not easy to watch, and there's nothing you can do when a dog that's bigger than you are and is unhappy to be touched is having a seizure. i hope he's doing alright, and hopefully he'll outgrow them like yukon did. -- lindsay

Sitka and Tia's BLAWG! said...

What beautiful photos. We love the ones of you in the water!!! Tia and I are sorry to hear about your seizure. That has to be scary.
Hugs,
Sitka

Windswept's Diamond Royale, CGC, TDIT said...

:( I am so sad you had another seizure. They do not sound fun AT ALL. I hope your medicine keeps helping though and you dont have another one for a long time- or EVER!

My hu-mom says fall is her favorite time of year too. So far Im loving the cool weather, and leaves blowing around- they are FUN to chase!!

*Royal*

Holly said...

Poor Amici! What a horrible thing to go through, and for the humans to witness. Mom was a total wreck when Abby use to have seizures.

Have you tried adding the potassium bromide? That is what Abby takes and has not had any seizures since she began it, almost 9 years ago.

Holly

The Husky in the Window said...

Oh Amici. How are you feeling too? I'm home and getting lots of love and I'm just very tired.
Thanks for the well wishes.
Husky Hugs, MayaMarie

The Daily Echo said...

Hi Amicic - I'm sorry about your seizures. We know another doggie that has a severe bout with them. This is the first we've heard of a connection with allergies and that concerns Mom because our Shyla is allergic to wheat. We'll be watching carefully. We hope you are feeling better now. Is it okay for us to put your link on our Favorite Blog list?
ECHO

Sid said...

Hi Amici, My mommy found your blog because you're from Maine too! I just wanted to say I'm sorry you're sick and I hope that vet finds out why!
PS
I looovvvveee going to the park now because there isn't as many people! When we first moved to our house near the park there were ALWAYS lotssss of people in the park!!

Patty Dogster said...

so sorry to hear about Amici, and I hope he remains seizure free for a long time. Good luck - and I love that you've got his Dogster badge up!

IndyPindy said...

Oh, poor Amici, I'm so sorry. Hey, your mom may want to join this email list: http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/gimpydogs/.

Also check out this site: http://www.canine-epilepsy-guardian-angels.com/

I hope you feel better buddy!

Marley said...

Oh Amici, I am so sorry that you had another seizure. I don't like hearing that! I'm crossing my paws that you'll go far longer than 2 months this time. I know it must be scary, but you are lucky to have wonderful humans who love you. Good pick!

Marls

Kapp pack said...

Hey Amici! How have you been feeling? We're worried about you, you haven't posted in a while. Have you gotten any snow in Maine yet??? All we've had is rain...YUCK!

WOo woo, Kelsey Ann

Dakota said...

Hi Amici,
I'm new to your blog, but I really liked it.
I have those seizure things too. I know how you feel.
Take care and let the humans know you are OK!

The Husky in the Window said...

Hey Amici. How have you been feeling? I'm much better and I'm glad our humans love us so much.
Husky Hugs, MayaMarie

Balboa & Mommy said...

I am so sorry you had another siezure, I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers so you never have another siezure.

Frenchie get well snorts
Balboa

-- The Mullin Clan's Mommy -- said...

Hiya,
Thanx for the get well wishes. I'm doing Ok & still wearing my lampshade (I hates it!). Cosi is an OK bruther. We wants to play, but mommy yells at us cuz I'm not allowed yet. I feel better & I want to play. Oh well, pretty soon.
Talks to you later,
-Juneau-

Pee Ess - When you stop by our bloggie again, don't furget to sign our guestbook.

Jean M Fogle said...

I like the beach pics, dogs do love the beach,
my book Salty Dogs has a beautiful husky running on the beach, I see quite a few when I go to the beachs out west!
You might look into a raw diet, some dogs stay sieze free on raw, but many vets dislike raw