Sunday, September 21, 2008

The 5 P's

PAWS

We participated in the PAWS in the Park which supported the local Animal Refuge League. We were excited to go but once the day came it was raining cats and dogs!! We sucked it up and decided to make the best of it. It was a good event and we were surprised at how many other people came out to offer their support even in the bad weather. :) I couldn't get a lot of pictures because I didn't have a good way to secure my camera from getting wet. I was able to snatch a shot of a few pups- check them out up above. :)

PLEASURE

I brought home a bully stick from one of our favorite dog store in Portland, Fetch. I had gone there to pick up a gift certificate that they were willing to donate to the Memory Walk. I bought a few items, picked up the gift certificate for the Memory Walk, and then headed home. Amici was so excited to see one of his favorite things!! He loves bully sticks and this one took him about 2 1/2 days to finish (all outside kennel time).

PINK

I came home from work on Wednesday to a pink Amici. Amici had got into the kool aid and then he just plopped down in it. His left side of his face was pink and he got the left side of his side/butt too. These pics were the next day so it faded a bit. Today is Sunday and yesterday he was at the dog park. Most people eventually asked me why my dog was pink. It was a bit embarrassing. I told Amici that Halloween is NEXT month.

PACO
Before we get to the plunger story, we have to tell the disturbing and sad story about Paco- the squirrel. Amici and I had gone to the grand opening of Camp Bow Wow, which we found out he can't ever go to because of his epilepsy dx. We decided to check it out anyway for Kana's sake. While we were there the Animal Shelter was having a booth for micro chipping. With the help of our DWB friends, the Internet, and Alan, we decided to have Amici micro chipped. He now has a HomeAgain microchip. He was a champ and didn't even flinch when they gave him the shot. Because he is on medicine, it would be crucial for Amici to be found ASAP. Having the microchip helps me feel a bit more secure about Amici's safety. After I took a tour and Amici played with a young boy outside, we decided to go pick up Kana as we headed to the dog park. Kana was psyched to see us and readily got into the CR-V. The dog park was fun. We had a nice mix of dogs. Towards the end of our visit Kana, Amici and I took a walk up on the hill by the trees (this goes around the park- still fenced in). As we were walking a squirrel (AKA- Paco) scurried by. Unfortunately, he didn't scurry fast enough. Kana grabbed him! I was horrified. I told Kana to "drop it" but he just threw little Paco up in the air and then Amici caught him. I kept saying "drop it" in the most stern voice I had (I have to admit...I probably was at my yelling stage). Neither dog obeyed. Finally Paco was let go. His back legs were broken and he was trying to get up the nearest tree. Kana was circling the tree and I was trying to get a hold of Kana. Just when I almost get Kana, he pulls away doing the famous Husky "catch me if you can" game. Then, Kana lets Paco climb up a bit of the tree, grabs Paco again and throws him to the ground. I was on the verge of tears. I love all animals and I couldn't believe that Kana and Amic were doing this. Amici was back up the hill sniffing for other squirrels. I finally got a hold of Kana and once I thought we were going to let Paco be, Amici came barrelling down the hill with his nose to the ground. He looked like a hound dog. He sniffed and before I could grab him and hold unto Kana at the same time, Amici got Paco again. Amici finally released Paco once I was able to look Amici in the eyes and told him to "drop it". By then poor little Paco was barely holding on. It was traumatic for the little guy and I couldn't even imagine how much pain he must be in. By that time folks from down below came up to see what I was waving my hands about and yelling. One of the guys put the squirrel down and then put him out of the park so the other dogs (including Kana and Amici) couldn't get to him. I felt very ashamed of what Kana and Amici had did. Of course, a few folks piped right up and said, "well that is a husky for you...they love to prey on little animals". There wasn't much I could say to that, except that I was sorry for Paco. By the time we left Amici and Kana could tell I was not a happy camper as I gave them the silent treatment. Once we arrived home, I was able to check the dogs over. Kana seemed unscratched. Amici got scratched in his nose but it looks like it will heal fine. I cleaned the dirt off of both of them and let them have a little quiet time out on our screened in porch.

PLUNGER

Later that day, Alan cleaned the bathroom. When he cleans he likes to clear the whole room out (e.g. scale, hamper, drying rack, toilet brush, etc.). While the floor was drying all of this stuff was out in the hallway. A while goes by and I came downstairs from reading. I find Amici on the couch beginning to chew on the PLUNGER! You would have thought he had enough excitement for one day...but I guess the plunger was just too appealing to pass up.

Amici did get a new pretty collar (sticking with the P's). :) While we were at the PAWS in the Park, that is the product that we purchased. The lady was very sweet and since the pattern we liked didn't come in the right size, she piped up that she could make us a custom collar. :)Pretty neat! I liked the way blue looks on Amici and I wanted to stick with something a bit more boyish so the sandy paws collar was the best match.

16 comments:

Khyra The Siberian Husky said...

P-erfekht!

Nice to see woo here!!

Well, we are what we are even when we try hard NOT to -

As for the plunger, Mom says she rekhalls someone on SiberNet mentioning how their dog liked a plunger as a toy!

Hope all is well in Maine (P-ortland) -

Hugz&Khysses,
Khyra

Kapp pack said...

Wow that was an info filled post! I can't help but think how much Amici is starting to look like me as he gets older!

Kisses, Sky boy

The Thundering Herd said...

Poor Paco, but can't blame the Sibes - they do what they do. An untold number of small critters have not made it out of the dog lot alive. As for the plunger = well, same thing - lol.

Biloxi and Siber-sibs said...

Woo Woo to poor Paco. Just say a little prayer for him. Maw says shes had a stray cat or 2 climbs our fence. My sibs have gotten to them. Maw tries to save them also.
As for the plunger, does you knows how to use it?

Husky kisses,
Biloxi

Raising Addie said...

WOW... what a fun event you got to go too!

I have wondered about those bully sticks, maybe I'll have to try one. The longest it have taken me to eat a bone has been two hours!

LOL! I just LOVE the kool aid cool coloring job! Has it come off yet?

Poor Paco... he will always be remembered.

And a yummy plunger! I like to chew on odd things too, like the carpet or the title in the kitchen!

You have been so very busy and your new collar is just beautiful!!

Amici... go easy on your mom for a little bit, ok? Looks like she can use a break.

Kisses
Addie

P.S. Thank you so much for visiting our blog! May we add you to our Fav Fur Blog list?

Steve, Kat, & Wilbur said...

I can't say anything about catching squirrels because I have gotten in big trouble for that too.

Glad you had fun at the walk.

I'm so jealous of that bully stick! How big was it?

Steve

Thor and Marco Polo and 3 Kats said...

WOO WOO

Mom is sad about the squirrel because she really loves them. But they are so so much fun to play with. We try and try to be good dogs but sometimes we fail

Thor and Marco Polo

cyber-sibes said...

Amici looks like Black Jack candy with that pink/white/black thing going! (Remember Black Jack taffy? Mon says it was her favorite!)

Poor Paco. At least when Star dispatches a squirrel, it's all over in under 30 seconds. Sometimes she even gives them a decent burial, too. It's a sibe thing, and one that bipeds aren't too fond of.

Woos & a-roos,
Star, Supreme Huntress
& Jack a-roo too

The Daily Echo said...

My Lab buddy next door got a plunger for Christmas - he LOVES it! Good job getting into that Kool Aid. It looks great on you.
ECHO

Kathryn and Ari said...

Wow. You guys have been busy. I can completely empathize about the squirrel: Ari mortally maimed a vole once--it was really terrible, and I didn't know what to do.

Ruby said...

Hi Amici

I love your blog. Your antics are so much fun to read about. I love the plunger pictures. I guess you had a bad case of potty mouth after chewing that.

Love Ruby

-The Mullin Clan's Mommy- said...

Hi-ya Amici,

That plunger looks like it would be fun to chew on. Hmmmm, daddy has an industrial one in the cupboard - I wonder if I can push the lock thru - hmmm! Cosi & me goes after squirrels & the kitty frum next door when they go across our backyard. But, we have never caught any of them. Mommy would be upset, fer sure!!!

Til next time,

Juneau

Amy and the Huskies said...

Amici is a gorgeous sibe!! Looks like the PAWS in the Park was fun, we go to an event like that every year called STrut Your Mutt. Sorry to hear about Paco the squirrel...my huskies would have done the same thing unfortunately, its just their prey drive.

BenTheRotti said...

Hi,

we just got through reading your DWB What it Means To Me post and thought we would pop over and say hi.
Loving the pink rinse hehehehe

As upsetting as it is, its the nature of all dogs, not just sibes. Mum has had to rescue more than one critter that didn't run fast enough from my jaws. I get the silent treatment too, but hey I'm a dog.. what does she expect!

Its great to meet you,

Ben xxxx

Holly said...

The poor humans, they really hate it when we do our "natural" instincts when it comes to critters. But I understand.

Love the kool-aid face!!!

Holly

~Melissa said...

got to love those bully sticks! they are such a life saver!